Mmmm. Jojoba Oil. One of my favorite beauty products of all time; its incredible versatility certainly helps its standings in Bionic-land. Here’s some tips I’ve found on getting the most out of your Jojoba Oil…
- Cuticle Oil – rub a drop on your hands and cuticles at least once per day. Option: Add a drop of Tea Tree Oil to your jojoba for a quick, all-natural anti-fungal nail treatment.
- Body Lotion – easy enough… just remember that a little goes a long way. You won’t need the dollop size you normally use with a traditional lotion. Jojoba sinks in super quickly and spreads across your skin easily. For even more fun or a special occasion, mix some cosmetic grade glitter with the oil and apply to your legs, arms and chest.
- Face Moisturizer – 1 to 2 drops is perfect for your face. Use after moisturizing. And… it’s PERFECT to apply under mineral makeup. You’ll look radiant and your minerals will perform so much better!
- Lip Oil – it’s light, natural and absorbs quickly removing all traces of flakes and the anti-oxidants will help keep aging at bay. Create your own unique lip oil in a small glass jar: add a few drops of your favorite flavoring (check the bakery aisle at your grocery) such as eucalyptus for minty freshness, strawberry or citrus oil for fruity flavor!
- Tame Flyaways – When you finish rubbing the jojoba into your nails and cuticles, rub your palms across the top of your hair to tame hair frizz!
- Makeup Remover – Mix half water and half jojoba in a small container (your free sample shampoo bottles will work perfectly for this). Shake before use, squeeze a bit onto a cotton pad and use to quickly and gently remove your eye makeup. As a bonus, the jojoba conditions eye lashes! (For an even cheaper alternative, check out my version of makeup remover). …
- Scalp Massage – or scalp treatment. Rub the oil into your scalp before bedtime and wash out in the morning.
- Quick Hot Oil Hair Treatment – Rub about 1 teaspoon of warmed oil through your hair when you first get into the shower. Let it sit while you shower. Rinse at the end of your shower, shampoo and condition as usual.
- Deep Hot Oil Treatment – Rub 1 tsp to 1 tablespoon of jojoba through your hair. Cover your head with a plastic shower cap or saran wrap. Let sit for 1-2 hours. Shampoo out and condition normally.
- Carrier Oil – White jojoba oil has anti-oxidant properties on its own; but it can also be applied overtop your other skin care treatments to ‘carry’ their active ingredients deep into your pores and skin.
- Split End Treatment – Add a drop or two of oil on ends of your hair as a split end treatment. Apply before blow drying or heat styling for protection.
- Added Moisture – Need more moisture during the winter or in a dry climate? Mix a few drops of jojoba to your normal body or face lotion application.
- Quick Hair Condition – Add 2-3 drops to your normal dose of hair conditioner. Mix in the palm of your hand, apply, and leave in while your shower. Rinse and you’ll have moisturized, shiny hair!
- Before Sunless Tanner – Apply lightly to elbows, knees, soles of feet, heels and palms to prevent extra sunless tanner from soaking into these porous areas. (Be sure to check out the rest of Bionic’s sunless tanners tips.)
- Before Swimming – Run 3-4 drops through your hair before diving in the pool or ocean. The oil will help close your hair cuticle and prevent harmful chemicals from stripping your color, and drying your locks.
Bionic’s Best all-around Jojoba Oil: Herbaria Soaps’ Organic Cold Pressed Jojoba Oil: Nature’s best moisturizer absorbs quickly into your skin for a soft silky finish. The Jojoba Oil is available in Unscented, Patchouli, Lavender, and Coriander-May Chang (pictured above). 8 ounce bottles are $19.95 and 4 ounce bottles are $11.95. Available at Herbaria Soaps.com.
Bionic’s runner up: Drugstore.com has Desert Essence Organic Jojoba Oil for $14.99.
Bionic’s Best speciality Jojoba: Herbaria’s Jojoba Healthy Hair. Get a 2 ounce bottle for $9 at HerbariaSoaps.com; organic jojoba oil and essential oils of rosemary, lavender, cedarwood, thyme and basil. I use this Jojoba for my hair, body, nails… pretty much everything except my face. The scent is absolutely incredible. It makes my skin glow and makes me smell nice without being a heavy scent. My bottle lasts FOREVER!
Do you use Jojoba? If so, how do you work it into your beauty routine?