Bionic Asks: What’s your daily hair routine?

by Jami Summers on September 1, 2010 · 14 comments

Bionic Beauty Asks - Makeup and beauty question blog article series

This week’s Bionic AsksWhat is your daily hair care routine?

I thought it would be fun to share our favorite steps in getting our locks “ready for the day”.
Here’s my usual hair routine:

1. Shampoo and condition every other day with a sulfate-free shampoo (Rinse hair very well on the days in-between),
  2. Use a leave-in cream conditioner at the ends of my hair while still damp,
  3. Spray a light leave-in spray conditioner (I like the ones by Paul Mitchell such as Super Strong) over my entire head,
  4. Let air dry -or- if I’m in a hurry I will blow dry until just barely damp,
  5. Run shine serum through ends of hair and then over the top of my hair to calm flyaways,
  6. Finally, hit my curvy/wavy hair chunks with my flat iron.

Those are the basics for me. I’ll have a Bionic Asks segment upcoming to talk about your date night or special occasion hair routines. But for now, let’s hear your daily step by step process!

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Nenette September 1, 2010 at 9:10 am

1. Wash hair 2 days a week with 2tbsp baking soda diluted in 2 cups water. (During showers on the other 5 days, I just rinse-comb my hair well.)
2. Condition with a good coconut oil conditioner. (I may condition on one of the other non-wash days if needed.)
3. Massage in a quarter-sized amount of Aveda Confixor styling lotion. (This is THE PERFECT PRODUCT for me.)
4. Blow-dry while scrunching hair with fingers.
5. Look awesome.

2 Kelly C. September 1, 2010 at 12:40 pm

1) Shampoo and condition daily with a generic version of the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree formula.
2) Brush and scrunch hair (sometimes with Curly Sexy Hair styling cream if the weather is right and I’m looking for a more defined curl),
3) Let air dry.

I’ve been told time and time again not to wash my hair daily, but I HAVE to. If I don’t by the next morning my hair is weighed down with oil, stringy and greasy, feeling and looking awful. I’ve tried to go prolonged periods of time without washing daily, but it never improves. Sorry!

I am thinking about trying out heated curlers or using a curling iron to give myself glossier curls. My hair is naturally curly, but sometimes it has flat, off days, and it’d be nice to get a more consistent look from day to day without praying for it to air dry just right every morning.

Overall I’m content with, if not happy with, my hair routine.

3 Tashi September 1, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Kelly C., I feel your pain! Been there. I have short naturally curly hair, and know as well the trials and tribulations of the daily TLC of it. I don’t know what part of the world you live in, so perhaps your area’s climate is a factor in your haircare. Time may also be an issue.

One thing that has helped me to avoid shampooing more than twice weekly, has been keeping a close eye on how much of the leave-in conditioners and styling products that I use. When I start applying products conservatively, I can always add more, even after combing through and scrunching. Like you, I air dry often, but honestly, I have better results when I use my dryer on LOW with a diffuser, and do that more than air drying because of that success. Even the next day or so, I get pretty great curl and volume, with minimal work.

I’ve found that discussing my hair questions/concerns with stylists (and even family, friends, and sometimes even strangers) helps also. No professional has ever steered me wrong in the basic care of my curls. It’s getting a great cut that works *with* my curls that’s the problem, on the rare occasion. Any professional stylist should be willing to give you some consultation and advice!

Two books that have added tremendously to my curly haircare confidence and styling knowledge, have been “Curly Girl” by Lorraine Massey (every day or two or three, I use a homemade curl/style revitalizing mist that she features, but use store-bought water, unboiled, and often add very minimal amounts of additional mousse *or* spray gel), and “Curl Talk” by Ouidad. I think that’s the title, anyway.

I’m *not* a professional hairstylist or anything. Just an average someone, offering her experiences and ideas, hoping that maybe they help. Good luck! :-D

4 Kelly C. September 1, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Thank you for taking the time to make such a thoughtful reply! Time is a huge factor for me- I usually shower in the morning before I go out, since my hair tends to be at its best just after a wash. If I sleep on it wet it just tends to get incredibly flat and lifeless, plus the oil we start to get bad by midday. I don’t mind washing it daily, but wish it would behave better.

I love my hairstylist, but I’ve never gotten any constructive advice out of her (or any stylist) about taking care of my hair. Most seemed to be stumped by naturally curly hair, and I’ve had more than one just want to flat iron it, bah! I will check out the two books, though. Thanks again!

5 Tashi September 2, 2010 at 9:47 am

I’m sorry that stylists have disappointed you, Kelly C.! :-( Hang in there. Educate yourself as best that you can on caring for naturally curly hair. *Don’t* let ANY stylist push you around and force you to flat iron your hair, etc., etc. Try asking around for salon/stylist recommendations. Maybe visit another location of the salon chain that you go to, if they have more than one spot. That’s what I’ve done, and to great success. The woman I’ve gone to for years and years is *wonderful* at cutting my hair, and haircare advice. But she can’t style curly hair. I don’t know why. So I just do it my way once I’m home. But I keep her on my “roster”. I’ve gone to a junior stylist at one of “my” salon’s other spots, and WOW!! She’s like night and day in styling. She’s a keeper, too.

One footnote on the (lavender essential oil) mist I mentioned from the “Curly Girl” book: If you make it, don’t add any mousse or spray gel into the bottle; add one of those to your hair *after* you spritz on the mist — if you need to at all. Also, Ms. Massey advocates going a loooooong time without washing your hair. I can’t say that I agree with her on that (or on everything, but she IS very helpful). But truly, to each, their own. Whatever works. Just go with what you feel is best for *you*.

You’re welcome!! :-D

6 Kelly C. September 3, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Tashi- Thanks again! I should say in my current stylists defense that she is quite good at cutting my hair, but has little hair care advice to give. : )

I think I will try the lavender oil for sure- I love the smell anyway.

7 Bailee September 1, 2010 at 1:44 pm

i work in a kitchen, so i have to shampoo every day.
i alternate between conditioning the ends in the shower or using a leave in conditioning spray, so my hair doesn’t look oily the next day.
i let my hair air dry at night, but prefer blow drying during the day, so i make sure to use a heat protecting spray!
im also a big fan or curling my hair, so i use heat protecting spray for that too.
i self trim my hair about every other month because i’m trying to grow it out, and it doesn’t matter too much what it looks like during the day because i’m in a kitchen with my hair tied up&hair netted about 6 days out of the week. lol. if people will be actually seeing my hair, i use a texturizing cream and/or pomade and sprunching spray to get that sexy, messy, volumized look!

8 BCoyle September 1, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Kelly C,
My stylist recently told me I needed to use that very Shampoo on my super oily hair. Where do you purchase the generic version of the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Oil? I too have to wash my hair daily or it looks like a grease pit! Thanks for your help.

9 Kelly C. September 1, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Sally Beauty Supply sells it, its at least 1/2 the price of the Paul Mitchell, and seems to give the same effect, at least for me. Hope that helps!

10 Bionic Beauty September 1, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Hi BCoyle, You can find a generic form of the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree hair care line at Sally Beauty supply stores. Look for the dark green bottles. :)

Going Sulfate-free may help with your oiliness too since it can quite often stem from your scalp going into over-production of oil to compensate when you strip out the oils during your shampooing. Hopefully Sally’s will have some sample/trial sizes of the Tea Tree shampoo you can try to see if it works for you.
In the meantime, you can also add a few drops of actual Tea Tree Oil to your regular shampoo and conditioner. It’ll smell great and really liven up your hair!

I hope this helps!
Cheers,
Jami

11 Kelly C. September 3, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I know Giovonni makes a sulfate-free tea tree shampoo. I was considering trying it when my current bottles run out. Its a bit pricey, but my local health food store has the option to bring your own bottles and buy in bulk, so it is much cheaper that it would otherwise be. Might be another option for you, BCoyle!

12 BCoyle September 6, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Thanks both of you for the advice. I have been adding some tea tree oil to my regular shampoo already. I will look for the tea tree oil at Sally’s next time I head that way! Thanks again!

13 Tashi September 2, 2010 at 9:17 am

*Thanks*, Jami, for mentioning the possibility of the scalp over-compensating, thus, causing the oiliness. I have that problem sometimes with my skin, and completely forgot about that possibility. I may just try the tea tree oil added to my own shampoo.

14 Tashi September 3, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Kelly C., I love the lavender mist! I tend to use more than is suggested in the book. But it’s been a trial and error thing for me, so just play it by ear. Sometimes, all I do to style my hair, is spritz on the mist and scrunch all over to revitalize my “do”, and let it air dry. I recommend using emptied spray bottles from another styling product; the mist sprays finer, and I don’t use as much as with some other bottles. Making one gallon lasts a loooooong time, and I use it all the time.

Aaaanywho, good luck! :-)