With the sun and hence swimsuit season upon us, let’s share tips on sunless tanners. Below are my fail safe tricks to get a natural looking glow sans streaks, blotches or skin nightmares.
- Exfoliate during your shower. This is so very important to getting an even application with sunless tanners. I use a bath pouf or a loofah with my body wash and wash my entire body. Then, I very lightly wash with a non-moisturizing exfoliant or microdermabrasion body wash (like Lancome’s Microdermabrasion for body). Your goal is to get an even layer of fresh skin. Without exfoliating, your skin has an uneven “shed” of skin cells causing the skin to absorb the tanner at different rates.
- Before applying your tanner, slather your favorite cream, lotion or barrier cream on your hands (focusing on cuticles and in between fingers). Rub the excess lightly over your knees and elbows. This step helps prevent the dreaded orange hands and allows the tanner to wash off your hands much easier!
- If you are inexperienced, do not choose a foam tanner. These are more difficult to apply and get on your body evenly. Stick with a gel or cream that has some color to it. The color will allow you to see where you’ve already applied the tanner.
- Wash those hands! After application, use your bath pouf or microdermabrasion to lightly scrub your hands clean. Apply another layer of lotion or cream over top (helps to dilute any remaining tanner on your hands).
- Plan some projects! If you are not using a quick-dry formula (and even if you are, you should wait at least 10 minutes before dressing), plan some things to do while the tanner sinks into your skin and dries. Fold laundry, apply a face mask, refresh your toenail polish. And don’t wear white shorts or pants immediately after applying your tanner- you will just be asking for trouble!
What are your secret tips for a successful sunless tan?