Welcome to another installment of Bionic Beauty Homemade with Joycey Couture!
1 cup freshly ground dirt
4 cups chlorinated water
3 cups salt water
3 tbsp sunscreen
Add a dash of sweat and you’re set… for one harsh summer. Now of course we all know summer is coming to an end, but the heat is still raging in the majority of the USA. Why not protect your skin and hair, and rejuvenate them for a beautiful fall!
Here are a few do-it-yourself beauty treatments that I’ve found and tested to help you do just this. And like always, the ingredients are inexpensive and all-natural!
For the Mug
- Looking for a face mask designed for most skin types? Try this one~ Combine 1 egg yolk, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt and 1/2 teaspoon of virgin olive oil. Just leave the mixture on your face for 10 minutes and rinse it off.
- For oily or acne-prone skin~ Try a mask that will help soothe the skin. Take 1 ripe banana and blend it with 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Leave on for 15 minutes.
- If you have dry skin~ Mix half of a mashed avocado with 1/4 cup of honey for a mask that will add tons of moisture to your face. Leave on for 10 minutes.
- Fruit based facial toners~ Sliced strawberries, grapes and cucumbers act as natural toners to tighten skin and shrink pores. Yum! Just rub the slices over your skin after cleansing. Got oily skin? Use sliced lemons to reduce shine.
For the Locks
- To whip up a simple deep conditioner for hair~ Blend 1/4 cup of plain yogurt, 1/4 cup mayo and the whites from one egg. Cover your hair with the mixture (using a comb to make sure it’s evenly distributed) and leave in for 30 minutes. Then rinse! This is a perfect solution for dry, damaged, overly beached hair.
- Clarify and get rid of product build-up~ Mix a small amount of baking soda in with your shampoo. This will clarify your hair, making it more manageable over time. Hint: Add the baking soda into your palm, then squeeze a dollop of shampoo on top. And like Nenette from LifeCandy.net pointed out in the comments section a few weeks back, baking soda makes a great cleanser if you go with the no-shampoo routine!
- Want to lighten up your hair but don’t have the money for highlights? Who does!? Dilute 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice with 1/4 cup of water. Spritz through your hair, and don’t forget your sunscreen! Are red tones more your style? Do the same thing, but use apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice.
As you can see from the photograph above, Jami (aka ‘Bionic Beauty’) and I spent some great vacation time outdoors, but we also spent time testing and retesting these various recipes! I’d love to hear if you’ve tried any of the “Bionic Homemade” beauty recipes and how they are working for you.