We all know drugstore makeup quality has increased exponentially in the past few years. I have usually glossed over the offerings of some brands including New York Color (better known as N.Y.C.). However, I broadened my horizons recently, and found some fab offerings for cheap!
The new NYC Metro Quartet eye shadow palette’s are a no-brainer eye look. Grab one and follow the included directions to apply. Each compact includes a lid (all over color), crease, highlight and contour color. Plus a teeny brush and foam wand. While the applicator wand leaves much to be desired (it’s really much too small for applying shadows and holding properly), the eye shadows themselves were quite impressive.
Here’s my look using the Metro Quartet in Union Square (a palette of slightly shimmery browns)…
- Apply bronze shadow across entire upper lid and blend into crease.
- Using the highlight color (a pale vanilla), brush across entire brow bone. Also dab some in the inner corner of your eye (by bridge of nose).
- Using the crease color (a medium mocha brown), sweep the color back and forth in your eye crease (apply using an upside-down U shape).
- Outer corners of your eye lid get the deep chocolate brown color.
- Since I love lining my eyes, I used the included contour color with a damp lining brush on both my upper and lower lash line. It’s subtle but enough to make my eyes open up a bit.
- I finished with one coat of mascara (I’m using Me by Mezhgan’s Look at Me tubing mascara here).
On my lips, I’m using the new NYC Smooch-proof™ lipcolor in Diva. It’s a basic nude. The color is a great neutral and should work for most skintones. The gloss topcoat really does make the color last!
You can find NYC makeup at your local drugstores, groceries, or Walmart and the prices are pretty darn incredible (about even with Milani which I also adore). I’ll be watching this brand!