I decided it was high-time I checked out eye shadow primers. Being the budget-minded gal I am, I hopped over to my local drugstore to grab L’Oreal’s De-Crease Eye Shadow Base.
First up, I wanted to try a swatch test before I actually went crazy creating eye makeup looks. The photo below shows seven eyeshadows of various brands, colors, and finishes. The top row is on my arm bare (no primer) and the bottom row is applied over De-Crease.
This week’s Bionic Asks…
What makeup are you wearing on your face today?
- SPF 25, it’s an all natural blend of zinc oxide, aloe juice, and witch hazel from my local health food store.
- Purely Cosmetics Silk and Pearl Primer powder
- my holy grail foundation- Purely Cosmetics mineral makeup (just in case you missed my review of PC’s mineral makeup)
- L’Oreal De-crease eye shadow base
- elf Cosmetics Duo Eye Shadow Cream in Black Licorice (my review) – I used the lighter color (silver) on the inner half of my eye.
- Bobbi Brown Brights palette shadow in Ultra Violet – UV went on the outer half of my eye & blended into the elf silver.
- Maybelline Cool Effects Shadow/Liner in Black Frost – I lined my upper lashline very lightly with this and then ran a brush over to soften.
- Shiny Mama Shimmer All in Ice – a fabulous micro-fine shimmer powder. I put it on my browbones for a highlight and in the inner corners of my eye to pop light around. Love, love, love my Shiny Mama!
- Physician’s Formula Mineral Wear mascara in blackest black (my all time fave mascara!)
- Ferro Cosmetics Crystal Mineral Veil in rose as a face highlight (on bridge of nose, top of cheeks, temples, and cupid’s bow)
- Lips – Clinique Long Last Glosswear in Clearly Pink, with Shiny Mama’s Ice dabbed in center of lower lip.
Some days a girl just needs to have fun… I have all these amazing eye shadow colors sitting around begging to be used in a bright and fantastic way. So today, trends be darned. I did my own rainbow lip look!
And a big THANK YOU to IowaGirl for the inspiration!
Would Dorothy be proud?
Colors I used from left to right:
- Upper lip: Nixie Professional matte lime green, Nixie Professional matte ‘burnt’ salmon, Bobbi Brown Brights Royal Blue.
- Lower lip: Purely Cosmetics Purple Diamond, Nixie Professional bright matte pink, Bobbi Brown Brights Blue Denim.
- I topped it all off (very carefully) with Sally Hansen Natural Beauty Ultra Soothing Lip Tint in Melon.
As some of you know, I got my Bobbi Brights eyeshadow palette. I ran around the house bouncing and squealing while my dogs looked at me like I had lost every bit of brain activity. Oh well. The palette is adorable. Some colors are too pale (even for me) and some don’t show up on my skin, but the truly bright colors are very cute.
This look was really easy. I was wearing a shirt that was cream at the shoulder and faded into a burnt orange/sienna color by the time it reached the waste. Pretty flowers (hibiscus!!) were outlined and fall across the front. I loved the shirt so much that I created this look to go with it.
I swept Coral (a very peachy orange matte) across entire lid. On outer half of the eye, I used Samba (a burnt orange just like my shirt!). Blend the two together a little.
I lined my upper lash line with Jane’s Be Pure Mineral Gel Eyeliner in Dark Brown. One coat of mascara to finish.
For a color chart of shadows include into the palette, check out my announcement article. It has a full chart, color names, and pictures of the palette. Stay tuned for more looks created with this palette.
Spring is just around the corner and rather than post all the press releases about new collections being released, I thought we’d step outside the box and look at lip colors that are light, bright, and perfect for Spring 2009.
Clinique Long Last glosswear SPF 15 in Mystic. Cost: $14.00 at Clinique.com. Mystic is a super cool grape gloss with silver shimmer. It’s gorgeous on; my photo does not do this gloss justice! Great for spring if you want a darker lip look (like me) or tend to look washed out when wearing all the light pinks and corals.
L’Oreal Colour Juice lipstick in Mango Tango (not shown in the group photo- I forgot to include it, oops!). This is one of my long term favorite lipstick colors. It’s semi-sheer but with a nice shine and it feels light on the lips. Plus the fruity scent is nice too.
Mango Tango is a nude with rosy brown undertones. Similar to Bobbi Brown’s new (and limited edition) Rosy Brown (from the Bobbi Brights collection). You can find it at most drugstores or drugstore.com for $9.50.
e.l.f. lipgloss in Flirt, $1 at e.l.f. Cosmetics. This color is a slightly lighter version of Clinique’s gloss in Clearly Pink. It’s a translucent bubble gum pink. Great on most anyone’s lips. It’s a fun novelty gloss & perfect at $1.
Keep on reading… lots more suggestions!