As many of you know, the newest Transformers movie, Transformers: Age of Extinction, opens today in theaters across America. I’ve been a Transformers fan since the 1984 cartoon series. I can (mostly) recite the first three movies line-by-line. I even walked down the aisle to a song from Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon. So I had to do something to my nails to celebrate the latest movie’s release!
I pondered, brainstormed, and pontificated. I knew I wanted the Autobots insignia on my two big toe nails. Hand-painting the design seemed like my only option until I glanced at our printer cabinet and saw a pack of clear mailing labels waving at me. Ding ding ding! Lightbulb moment!
First, I’ll show the results of my Autobots nail art; then I’ve got a tutorial to make your own nail decals!
++ The Results ++
++ The Materials ++
- Seche Clear base coat
- China Glaze nail polish in For Audrey
- Seche Vite polish top coat (or other thick, glossy, quick-drying top coat)
- Printable sheet of clear mailing labels (decal or tattoo “paper” would also work – maybe even better!)
- An inkjet or laser printer – either variety will work just fine.
- Digital image of the Transformers Autobots (or any design you wish) logo.
- Big Hint: Make sure your chosen image is in png format with a transparent background! This will allow your nail color to show through.
++ The Creation ++
- Use Microsoft Word, Open Office, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign or a similar program to place your Autobots insignia on the appropriate template for your chosen clear labels.
- Hint: You can find templates for your specific label size by Googling the brand name plus the label number plus the world ‘template’. For example you could Google “Avery 8329 template”.
- I found it easiest to use a full sheet clear label. Basically my label sheet is an 8.5″ by 11″ sheet of paper that just happens to be one huge peel n’ stick label.
- Resize your image/logo/insignia to approximately 1cm by 1cm (approximately 0.4 inches x 0.4 inches) size for use on the big toe nail.
- For use on your fingernails, a size of 0.75cm by 0.75cm (approximately 0.3 inches by 0.3 inches) should work for most nails except the teeny pinky nail.
- Hint: I suggest placing multiple copies of the logo/insignia in your document similar to the ones I created – shown below. That way you can make a few different size; a variety of colors; even a ton of different logos!
- Print the document onto your clear labels.
- Leave the backing on for now and use scissors to carefully cut out your design.
- Paint your nails with the polish base coat.
- Paint your nails with 2-3 coats of a colored polish such as For Audrey by China Glaze. Let dry completely.
- Use tweezers to help peel away the label backing from your Autobots logo.
- Use the tweezers to hold the logo “sticker” and place it onto your nail. Press down thoroughly.
- Smooth out all air bubbles using your finger or the wrong end of your tweezers.
- Apply at least 2 coats of Seche Vite top coat to seal and protect your design.
- Ta-da! You’ve just DIY’d personalized nail decals!
Honestly, this step-by-sep list makes the process look difficult but it is actually darn easy. The most difficult and time consuming part is finding the right image (Google Images is your BFF here!).
Please do not hesitate to post questions, requests for help, or a photo of your own design in the comments section down below!
Pedicures are cooler with Autobots on your toes,