This week’s Bionic Asks…
I’d venture to guess that we all have some product or item that we are SO proud that we save money on. What’s your best find for frugal beauty?
I have a tie for myself– my $8 tub of Aztec Secret clay makes me over 100 face masks. And then there’s my ultra-cheap home made eyemakeup remover (cost per 8 ounce bottle is around 50 cents).
Give it some thought, dig through your cabinets. What’s your trick, tip or favorite product that saves you beautiful money?
Mmmm. Jojoba Oil. One of my favorite beauty products of all time; its incredible versatility certainly helps its standings in Bionic-land. Here’s some tips I’ve found on getting the most out of your Jojoba Oil…
- Cuticle Oil – rub a drop on your hands and cuticles at least once per day. Option: Add a drop of Tea Tree Oil to your jojoba for a quick, all-natural anti-fungal nail treatment.
- Body Lotion – easy enough… just remember that a little goes a long way. You won’t need the dollop size you normally use with a traditional lotion. Jojoba sinks in super quickly and spreads across your skin easily. For even more fun or a special occasion, mix some cosmetic grade shimmer with the oil and apply to your legs, arms and chest.
- Face Moisturizer – 1 to 2 drops is perfect for your face. Use after moisturizing. And… it’s PERFECT to apply under mineral makeup. You’ll look radiant and your minerals will perform so much better!
- Lip Oil – it’s light, natural and absorbs quickly removing all traces of flakes and the anti-oxidants will help keep aging at bay. Create your own unique lip oil in a small glass jar: add a few drops of your favorite flavoring (check the bakery aisle at your grocery) such as eucalyptus for minty freshness, strawberry or citrus oil for fruity flavor!
- Tame Flyaways – When you finish rubbing the jojoba into your nails and cuticles, rub your palms across the top of your hair to tame hair frizz!
- Makeup Remover – Mix half water and half jojoba in a small container (your free sample shampoo bottles will work perfectly for this). Shake before use, squeeze a bit onto a cotton pad and use to quickly and gently remove your eye makeup. As a bonus, the jojoba conditions eye lashes! For an even cheaper alternative, check out my DIY version of makeup remover.
- Scalp Massage – or scalp treatment. Rub the oil into your scalp before bedtime and wash out in the morning.
- Quick Hot Oil Hair Treatment – Rub about 1 teaspoon of warmed oil through your hair when you first get into the shower. Let it sit while you shower. Rinse at the end of your shower, shampoo and condition as usual.
- Deep Hot Oil Treatment – Rub 1 tsp to 1 tablespoon of jojoba through your hair. Cover your head with a plastic shower cap or saran wrap. Let sit for 1-2 hours. Shampoo out and condition normally.
- Carrier Oil – White jojoba oil has anti-oxidant properties on its own; but it can also be applied overtop your other skin care treatments to ‘carry’ their active ingredients deep into your pores and skin.
- Split End Treatment – Add a drop or two of oil on ends of your hair as a split end treatment. Apply before blow drying or heat styling for protection.
- Added Moisture – Need more moisture during the winter or in a dry climate? Mix a few drops of jojoba to your normal body or face lotion application.
- Quick Hair Condition – Add 2-3 drops to your normal dose of hair conditioner. Mix in the palm of your hand, apply, and leave in while your shower. Rinse and you’ll have moisturized, shiny hair!
- Before Sunless Tanner – Apply lightly to elbows, knees, soles of feet, heels and palms to prevent extra sunless tanner from soaking into these porous areas. (Be sure to check out the rest of Bionic’s sunless tanners tips.)
- Before Swimming – Run 3-4 drops through your hair before diving in the pool or ocean. The oil will help close your hair cuticle and prevent harmful chemicals from stripping your color, and drying your locks.
Do you use Jojoba? If so, how do you work it into your beauty routine?
Stay beautiful, bionic, and oily,
P.S. If you enjoyed this list of goodies, you’ll love “15 Beautiful Uses for Tea Tree Oil“!
The freebies are just rolling in lately!! Request ’em now before they run out…
- Nelson’s Pure and Clear anti-acne & blemish face wash. This one’s open to USA and UK residents. You’ll need to complete a quick questionnaire and only 5000 samples are available, so be quick! Hint: You’ll find the answer to the last question here (Aren’t I super helpful today?!?).
- Selsun Blue shampoo. Even if you don’t have dandruff these samples are excellent for weekend trips! Or use it as a body wash to prevent back or body breakouts (the sulfur Selsun Blue contains helps clear and prevent acne!). Open to USA residents only. And you get to choose from classic Itchy Dry Scalp or the Naturals Itchy Dry Scalp formula. (I’ve tried the Naturals range before through sampling and LOVED it!)
- Huggies Soft Skin baby wipes. Why am I posting about Baby Wipes on a beauty website? Well, because they make amazing makeup removers! Pack this sample pack in your next overnight bag when you don’t want to take your homemade makeup remover with you. 😉 (USA residents only.)
- Become Beauty’s Weekender Beauty Sample Kit. While I’m not sure what this “kit” will contain… it’s free, and could be fun! What the hay, right? Open to USA and Australia residents.
Isn’t it fun to open your mail box to a bunch of samples? It makes checking the mail fun again!
Looking to save some money? Create your own batch of eye makeup remover! It’s easy, healthy, cheap and works oh SO well.
I started doing this about 2 months ago, so I could test it fully before posting on Bionic Beauty. Take a small CLEAN squeeze bottle (or cleaned out shampoo sample bottle, etc)- fill it half full with mineral or spring water, and fill the other half with sunflower or safflower oil. I use organic oil to make sure it’s the most natural and pure available.
Shake well before using, squeeze some onto a cotton ball and swipe gently at your eye makeup.
You can experiment with the oils. I use sunflower or safflower since they are super light and relatively scent free. The oil also seems to help keep my lashes in condition- another bonus. And the price per ounce it a teensy fraction of what you’d pay for drugstore and luxury brand makeup removers.
In order to promote Pond’s as the official skincare of the new movie Mamma Mia!, Costco and Pond’s have teamed up and brought us all a free sample of their new Clean Sweep Towlettes– perfect for your purse or traveling this summer! Request yours now at the Costco website. Supplies are limited and this free sample offer is open only to those in the USA.
Here’s a little information on Pond’s Clean Sweep Towlettes direct from Ponds:
- No other leading towelette is better at removing make-up!
- Removes waterproof mascara
- Infused with triple tea antioxidant complex, Vitamin E and chamomile, wet towelettes nourish, soothe and paper, leaving skin perfectly clean and make-up free
- Ophthalmologist tested
- Dermatologist tested