I know black lipstick isn’t for everyone, but if you are interested in trying out the trend… here are some tips and looks to play around with. And you don’t have to be a Film Noir star or a goth chick to pull them off!
Face – Purely Cosmetics mineral makeup in California Blonde mixed with PRIIA Cosmetic’s Complexion Enhancer in Angelic (basically my normal makeup). Topped with Purely Cosmetics’ Diamond Perfect Finish powder (I love, love, love this product!).
Cheeks – Light rose pink blush (Koh Gen Do in Coral Pink) topped with silver dust GlitterAll in Snow by Shiny Mama.
Lids – Silver eyeliner by PencilMeInCosmetics.com, smudged out a bit, topped with Clinique’s Long Last lipgloss in Clearly Pink.
Lashes – Clinique’s new High Lengths mascara in black on top lashes (Full review soon, but in short it’s okay. Not as wonderful as Blinc, but average), silver/black glitter mascara (found on clearance at my local Sally Beauty store!) on bottom lashes.
And now, onto the makeup looks!
The Full-On Drama Lips – Prescriptives Longwear Kohl eyeliner in black (but any longwear or waterproof black eyeliner would work fine!), Purely Cosmetics’ Diamond powder dabbed on very lightly to set the liner. Topped with Lancome’s Piha Black lipgloss (here’s a link to my previous article with loads of tips and looks using Piha Black lipgloss).
The Budget Version! – Wet n Wild’s lipstick in Black Orchid ($1.29 at drugstore.com), topped with Sally Hansen lipgloss (or any clear or sparkly lipgloss you have laying around). As you can see this black lipstick tends to settle into any lip lines you may have. It can be a bit of a pain, but for the two bucks or so it costs, it’s a great lipstick and not drying at all!
Sheer and Wearable – If you’re looking for something a bit less “Jami, you’re crazy!” then, Three Custom Color’s Noir lipstick and Noir lip gloss are gonna be right up your alley!
Another recommendation, if I may, is Three Custom’s Doubles lipgloss. It’s my absolute favorite
- For all the lip looks, I highly recommend starting with a very moisturizing lip balm to prep lips (I used YBF’s Quench lip balm). Put it on before you start the rest of your makeup and it’ll have soaked in by the time you’re ready to start lips.
- Surround lip line with concealer, or I use Anastasia’s Eye Lights Matte pencil in Camille. The goal here is to really set your lips off and make sure the lip line is exact and very clean since the colors are so dark.
- Clothing – Pair this look with something that is silver, maroon, blue, navy to keep things bright… unless you want to embrace your inner goth, then by all means go for the black, strips, deep gray, or reds!
- Same thing goes for jewelry. KISS – Keep it simple silver. *wink*
- Whichever makeup you choose, keep your lids, cheeks and face subtle, however you want *something* on those other features so you don’t look too washed out.
This look is instant glam when you’re at home feeling a bit low or down… Even if you just wear it around the house!
If you’re going out on the town with a strong black lip, ROCK IT. You can’t be shy and meek. Embrace that inner-gal-power and let it show. Shoulders back, walk proudly! Pretend you’re Mina Harker (actress Peta Wilson) from The League of Extraordinary Gentleman; or Abby from NCIS!
Personally, I love the dark lip look… but I’m fully aware it’s not for everyone. What are your thoughts are the varieties I’ve shown?